Saturday, November 29, 2014

Only 26 days until Christmas!

26 more days until Christmas, Now...I do NOT think that Christmas celebrations should be confined to Christmas day, in fact...I am a firm believer in that celebrating Jesus should be a lifestyle rather than a holiday, but there is just something magical about Christmas, a time when everyone is to "spread holiday cheer" and everything twinkles in red and green. A time when children are encouraged to be innocent. I love everything about Christmas, I really enjoy shopping and choosing gifts for friends and family, wrapping, Christmas music, baking, Christmas lights and the peculiar way everything smells like cinnamon....yes, I am one of those obnoxious people snap chatting everyone I know from the Christmas isles in October because I am THRILLED to see the Christmas items out!
This year..I have been given the most amazing blessing...a toddler to share my love of Christmas with!! To my daughter, Christmas is just another day, at 2 she doesn't remember last year, but she's very aware that something special is going on. I want her to enjoy the whole Christmas season, and not just anticipate the December 25th present opening fest. I want her to know and understand why we celebrate Christmas. I want her memories from Christmas to be more than opening gifts. So, I put my craftiness together with some pinterest searching and I have come up with the perfect thing!!! A COUNTDOWN (I know, original right?!)  Let me tell you more (I know I am long winded today,there are pictures coming for visual learners!)
Here is what I made:

 I used a cheap poster frame from wal-mart and spray painted the "plastic insert glass substitute thingy" burgundy. Then I printed the chalkboard pockets HERE, put them together and glued them on my board. I was lucky enough to score the black tags at Groves Office Supply (a local store with scrapbooking and office supplies) to place in my pockets and I added bakers twine to each one of them to make it a tad more festive.
Each card has an activity on it that's related to Christmas, some are simple like "color a Christmas picture (I printed some freebies from pinterest), make a gingerbread house, bake cookies with mommy, go look at Christmas lights, have a picnic lunch by the Christmas tree, make Jesus a birthday cake, etc. This countdown...is not necessarily to show how many days until Christmas, but a fun way to create lasting memories with Addie this season...and the best part? I can re-use it next year!! I will be sure to share our fun projects with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment